Halloween Safety Tips
There is a curfew between 9:00 pm to 6:00 am
for minors under the age of 18 years old, except when accompanied by
an adult over the age of 25 years old.
October 28th through October 31st
- Carry a flashlight
- Walk, don't run.
- Stay on Sidewalks
- Obey traffic signals
- Don't cut across yards or driveways.
- Make sure costumes don't drag on the ground.
- Shoes should fit (even if they don't go with your costume)
- Avoid wearing masks while walking from house to house.
- Carry only flexible knives, swords or other props.
- Wear clothing with reflective markings or tape.
- Approach only houses that are lit.
- Stay away from and don't pet animals you don't know.
- Young children of any age should be accompanied by an adult.
- If your children go on their own, be sure they wear a watch, preferably one that can be read in the dark.
- If you buy a costume, look for one made of flame-retardant material.
- Older children should know where to reach you and when to be home.
- You should know where they're going.
- Although tampering is rare, tell children to bring the candy home to be inspected before consuming anything.
- Look at the wrapping carefully and toss out anything that looks suspect.
- Make sure your yard is clear of such things as ladders, hoses, dog leashes and flower pots that can trip people.
- Pets get frightened on Halloween. Make sure they are in a safe place to protect them from cars or inadvertently biting trick-or-treater's.
- Battery powered jack o' lantern candles are preferable to a real flame.
- If you do use candles, place the pumpkin well away from where trick-or-treaters will be walking or standing.
- Make sure paper or cloth yard decorations won't be blown into a flaming candle.
- Healthy food alternatives for trick-or-treaters include packages of low-fat crackers with cheese or peanut butter filling, single-serve boxes of cereal, packaged fruit rolls, mini boxes of raisins and single-serve packets of low-fat popcorn that can be microwaved later.
- Non-food treats: plastic rings, pencils, stickers, erasers, coins.